The Director of Field Operations – Africa is responsible for the oversight of all transportation and distribution, within the Africa region in addition to providing guidance on import, export and global trade compliance matters. This role will be directly responsible for the growth and development of Choice’s Africa partner network. This will require opening new country locations and sourcing new vendor partners inclusive of customs support requirements. Reporting into the VP of Operations for EMEA and APAC the Director will own the vendor partner relationship including performance management, vendor contract negotiation, conduct quarterly business reviews and day-to-day operational compliance. This individual will partner cross-functionally with the Field Operations and Global Trade Solutions teams to ensure the expeditious flow of goods across country boarders to support supply chain requirements.
- Responsible for total oversight and management of all vendor relationships within a designated region as it applies to all aspects of our global service offering.
- Create an environment of accountability and engagement for individual and team performance through analyzing and communicating metrics and identifying opportunities for improvement and solutions.
- Identity and source new vendor relationships based on client’s needs and expectations
- Develop and source individual vendor partners for support of customs clearance and IOR network
- Support on-going compliance and performance within vendor partner network for import, export and trade activities in partnership with Choice’s GTS Department.
- Negotiate contract and drive contract execution when onboarding new vendors.
- Lead continuous process improvement activities to guarantee performance to Choice Logistics’ standard and procedures and ensure all operational goals are achieved.
- Drive cost efficiencies within vendor selection with an eye towards company profitability.
- Review Key performance indicators on a day-to-day basis to maintain control over operations.
- Coordinate training to vendor staff on Choice procedures and Choice operating systems.
- Proactively manage labor and space allocations for the warehouse.
- Manage and conduct vendor quarterly business reviews for assigned stocking location network region.
- Advise internal clients and executive team on regulatory changes and changing compliance requirements based on feedback from vendor partners.
- Recommend and drive changes that improve performance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required.
- Minimum 10 years management experience in Logistics or Courier operations within Africa.
- 5-10 years of import/export compliance experience with international responsibilities
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and interpret data to make sound, cost effective judgements.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong presentation skills.
- Able to multi-task in a high pressure environment and possess excellent follow up skills.
- Ability to develop productive relationships and communicate effectively with management, peers, suppliers and customers.
- Ability to travel 50% of the time.
- Solid working knowledge of budgeting, operations, business development and strategic planning.
- Customs broker license strongly preferred
- Language Proficient in English, Arabic, and French
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint